Thursday, April 19, 2012

USA Swimming DISCRIMINATES against Deaf Swimmer

Hi everyone, 

I need your support and help to stop the discrimination I am facing as a Deaf swimmer!

As you know, I am preparing for the upcoming Olympic Trials in Omaha, NE to be held in June. I have been working for several months with USA swimming to develop a race start protocol that incorporates hand signals and strobe lights as a visual aid to assist Deaf and hearing impaired swimmers. So far we have been able to incorporate this into USA swimming's protocol and implementation has begun at the national swimming level. Unfortunately the program is still in its infancy and execution of visual race starts have less than 50% accuracy. The positive note is that USA swimming is aware that they need to change the start protocol so that it is universal for all athletes. Unfortunately, I just learned that the Olympic Trials are conducted according to FINA protocol, which does not include hand signals that indicate "ready" and "set." Although I have worked with USA swimming for months to standardize race procedures for Deaf swimmers, USA swimming is not accommodating my request to incorporate hand signals at the Olympic trials. This has become an unfortunate case of discrimination at a time when I should be receiving a lot of support for this once in a lifetime opportunity.

I would appreciate any attention that you can help me shine on this issue. Anyone in the broadcasting, swimming, and Deaf community should be aware of this issue. If we can bring attention to this and have numerous people write in to protest and support me...then perhaps USA swimming will change their tune.We need to protest that FINA protocol discriminates against the Deaf and hearing impaired. Please show your support for me and write to your local news agency and USA swimming to spread word that every athlete deserves a fair and equal opportunity. Contact the members below at USA swimming to show your support. Thank you!



Chuck Wielgus (cwielgus@usaswimming.org)

Frank Busch (fbusch@usaswimming.org)

James Sheehan (Jim.Sheehan@marshpm.com)

Mike Unger (munger@usaswimming.org)

Dan McAllan (d.mcalleniii@sbcglobal.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment